Saturday, January 1, 2011

End of 2010 vacation, part1: Escanaba

With 2010 drawing to a close, out annual holiday travels are upon us.  I managed another trip to Montana (where I am now), but first the family and I traveled to the upper peninsula to visit family over the holiday.  First stop was Escanaba to visit with my brothers and grandma Erickson.  It was an eat and drinkathon, punctuated by presents, chasing the kids around and taking a couple of walks along the waterfront. 

One of the best features of Esky (as it is locally known) is an amazing waterfront park, which includes a small island with great beaches and a marina.  Seems like if has become tradition for my brothers and I to walk around the park, got in two walks, one on 12/26 in the morning, a beautiful (but cold day)... pictures are from that walk.

The bay was still not frozen completely over, and with the wind there was water movement.  At the mouth of the marina, the wind and chunks of ice in the water combined to make a beautiful chiming and 'tinking' noises as the ice pieces bumped into each other.  On to Marquette in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment